Condo Refuse Rebates

Any condominium association, cooperative apartment building or townhouses which is not eligible to receive City refuse collection services may apply for a rebate related to its refuse collection. This will be the case only to individuals who applied for the rebate at a prior time between January, 2009 and November, 2011.  This is part of the city of Chicago’s plan to phase out the program by 2016.  The association will receive a maximum of $75.00 per residential unit or the total amount of the refuse bills for the period you are filing, whichever is the lesser amount.


You have one year to file an application. Buildings applying for this rebate must have a Recycling Certification Form on file with the Committee on Finance. You may obtain the application at the Committee on Finance website. If possible, complete the form electronically through the website and print.


Your application packet should include:
•A complete, notarized application.
•A complete recycling certification form if this is your first time applying.
•A refuse bill pertaining to the period for which you are applying. We request that you ask your collection company to provide a single invoice for the whole year.
•A resolution in favor of the application adopted by the condominium association.
•A copy of your current scavenger service agreement.
•An email address where we can notify you that the application has been processed.


Your application needs to be submitted to the 46th Ward Service Office.


Senior Citizen Sewer Rebates

Rebates on water bills are available to residents 65 years of age or older.  You must be the owner of the property you apply for and that must be your principal place of residence.  There are two types of rebates, depending on whether you have a separate water bill or share a meter with other units:


If you have your own water meter and receive a water bill solely addressed to you, you may apply for the Water Department Senior Citizen Exemption.  This will exempt you from all future sewer charges on your water bill.

Please provide our office with:


  • Proof of Age (Driver’s License, ID or birth certificate)
  • Proof of Ownership (mortgage statement, tax bill, deed or homestead exemption certificate)
  • Proof of Residence (gas, electric or phone bill)
  • Complete, notarized application, available here


More information is available at the Department of Water Management website


Please compile all the documents and submit to the 46th Ward Service Office.


If you share a water meter and pay a water bill in conjunction with other units in your building or complex, you may apply for the Sewer Charge Annual Refund for Seniors from the Committee on Finance.  This rebate requires the introduction of an ordinance by Alderman Cappleman. You must file for this refund on an annual basis.

Please provide our office with:


  • The most recent water bill
  • Proof of homestead deduction (2nd installment of tax bill or approved application for homestead deduction)
  • Proof of Age (Driver’s License, ID, passport or birth certificate)
  • Complete, notarized application, available here


More information is available at the Committee on Finance website


Please compile all the documents and submit to the 46th Ward Service Office.


Sustainable Backyard Rebates

How the Rebate Program Works


  1. Pick up a rebate form from a Sustainable Backyard Workshop or download one below. (Rebate forms may also be available at participating local garden centers or hardware stores.)
  2. Purchase a rain barrel, compost bin, tree(s), or native plant(s) from your local garden center or hardware store. Here is a list of local retailers (updated 4/2012).
  3. Be sure your receipt clearly indicates your purchase! Ask the garden center staff to write in any necessary information that is not obvious or clear on your receipt, like what native plant species were purchased. This information is essential so we can process your rebate.
  4. Carefully read through and complete the rebate form and mail it in with your itemized receipt to:Chicago Sustainable Backyard Program, Chicago Department of Environment, 30 N. LaSalle,  2nd Floor, Chicago, IL 60602
  5. Check your mailbox for a check from the City for up to 50% off your purchase. This could take up to 3 months (90 days). Thank you for your patience.



Rules and Restrictions (See rebate forms for more details)


  • Limit one of each rebate (rain barrel, compost bin, tree, and native plant) per installation address, per year. Residents are encouraged to purchase more than one tree and native plant, but should submit all 2012 native plant and tree receipts at once.
  • Products must be purchased between September 1, 2010, and December 31, 2012.
  • Original receipt (clearly indicating purchase) and completed Rebate Form must be post-marked by December 31, 2012. The City of Chicago reserves the right to deny rebate applications with unclear receipts.
  • Rebate checks may take up to 3 months (90 days) to process.


CHANGE IN 2012: Church, school and community gardens are now eligible for rebates!

The rebates are available to City of Chicago residents only.  Please visit Greencorps Chicago, for more information.


Click to download .pdf files of the forms for the following rebates:



For more information, click here to visit the City of Chicago’s Sustainable Backyard Program web page

Live Cams Ten Sex Sportpress Theme